The CT Center for Patient Safety is a forceful voice for the health care consumer. Our health care system is not really a system; rather the “system” is a collection of industries that have bottom lines and whose profits can be at the expense of the patient. Read more
Patient Safety is about the systems that must be put in place to assure quality of care for everyone. We believe quality healthcare is a right.
The CT Center for Patient Safety represents the voice of patients in the following areas:
- Patient Safety Campaigns; including hospital infections, medical errors, pharmaceutical reporting, and malpractice reform.
- State legislative health policy
- National patient safety and quality organizations
- State and National agencies and officials
- Patient Safety Education
JEAN REXFORD'S RECENT INTERVIEW ON WTIC'S "FACE CONNECTICUT"
Listen to CTCPS Executive Director, Jean Rexford's recent interview on WTIC's "Face Connecticut" hosted by Sam Gingerella. Jean talked about the changing face of hospital care, infection rates and other medical harm, the patients' role and voice in healthcare, and how CTCPS is engaged in representing and protecting the patient on a local and national level.
A STARTING POINT FOR THE HEALTHCARE INSURANCE MARKETPLACE
As of October 1st the Healthcare Insurance Marketplace opens its doors. Obamacare can be confusing, but a few points to keep in mind are:
- Everyone must have insurance or pay a penalty
- There are new benefits and protections
- Young adults can stay on parents plan until age 26
- There are no longer lifetime limits
- Your insurance company may not spend more than 20% of your premium on overhead or you will get a refund.
- Premiums can’t be higher due to current or previous illness or due to your gender.
- Summaries will be in plain language with “apples to apples” comparisons available.
- If you are on traditional Medicare, you don’t have to do anything!
- If you have a private pay insurance plan, you may want to call your insurer. Some plans will remain and some will be discontinued. You will have the choice to buy through the marketplace or outside of it.
Connecticut’s Healthcare Insurance Marketplace: access health CT
To apply and/or compare plans (in and outside of the exchange): www.healthcare.gov
White House White Board: What ObamaCare Means For You
EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOPS NOW BEING OFFERED
CT Center for Patient Safety is a resource for nursing schools, medical schools and all other health professionals. We have developed and are currently presenting workshops on patient safety at Nursing Schools and Universities in CT. Our very popular workshops share insight from the consumer/patient perspective on patient safety issues. If you wish to get additional information or are interested in having us present a workshop at your school or organization, please contact Jean Rexford, CTCPS Executive Director.
Did you miss an issue of our online newsletter? You can access past newsletter issues or you can receive future newsletters via email by joining our mailing list.